How much SSD storage could you put in 1 Sockle, if the price was no issue?
For sure, in a 13″ Sockle, you could mount 4 x 2TB Samsung T5 SSDs, with 1 Anker 4-port USB Hub. That’s 4 x 800$ or 3200$, for 8TB of super fast storage.
But I even think you could get 2 x 4-port USB Hubs and 6 SSDs in 1 Sockle (certainly a 15″), which would give you 12TB of portable fast storage for 4800$.
2 x Anker 4-port USB Hub: $30
6 x Samsung T5 2TB SSD disk: $4800
2 x Bamboo shell: 30$
Total weight: less than 2kg for the 13″
You would have to consider how to combine these disks on the MacOS desktop:
- 6 separate disks: 6 disks of 2TB – if 1 SSD disk breaks, your lose everything on that disk.
- 3 x 2 disks in mirror (RAID 1) for data protection: 3 disks of 2TB- if 1 SSD disk breaks, you lose nothing
- 6 disks in Raid 1: 1 disk of 6TB – if 1 SSD disk breaks, you lose nothing
- JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disks): 1 disk of 12TB – if 1 SSD disk breaks, you lose 1/6 of your data.
- 6 disks in Raid 0: 1 disk of 12TB – if 1 SSD disk breaks, you lose everything – this is for those of you who love to live on the edge.